After testing out many recipes we have found an ice cream base that turns out exceptional every time! Sweet, smooth, soft and creamy, this base turns out for us every time and works with many different flavors. It is easy to scoop after a hard freeze, which is a big plus in our books as well.
This week we made Mint Chip Ice Cream – and our kids decided it was the best yet!
“Mom – your ice cream just keeps getting better and better and BETTER – this stuff is just like Kwik Trip mint chip ice cream!”
~ Gordon, while eating a bowl full of mint chip ice cream.
- 3 cups cream (skimmed from our cream-on-top milk from our family milk cows)
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Flavor and color of choice (1 teaspoon mint extract & 4 drops green food coloring for mint chip, and chocolate almond bark shavings from 1 square)
* For even richer ice cream add one egg
- Measure out and blend all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Place base into a 2 quart ice cream maker and follow the chilling instructions.
- Scoop and enjoy! This recipe freezes well and is easy to scoop time and time again.