The farm collie pups turned 3 weeks old today. They are really starting to wake up and explore the world around them. Here are some adorable milestones we have been witnessing:
- Eyes Wide Open: All of the puppies’ eyes are open and bright. Their vision is still a bit blurry, but they’re slowly taking in the sights and adjusting to the light.
- Mini Explorers: The adventurous phase begins! With improved coordination, the pups are attempting to stand and take their first wobbly steps. We catch them venturing out of the nest, albeit a bit clumsily, on a regular basis now to go to the bathroom or play.
- Growing Appetites: As the pups become more active, their appetite is on the rise. They are still getting all their nutrition from Brandy through nursing, but we will soon start offering them softened puppy food as they start gearing up for weaning.
- Potty Training: Brandy keeps their den immaculate. Something fascinating the pups do by instinct is leave the den and cozy bedding and walk across their pen to relieve themselves, before waddling back to the clean puppy pile. This instinct makes keeping their pen clean very easy, and if encouraged for the coming weeks will make potty training a breeze when the pups start to head to their new homes.
- Vocal Performances: Oh what a symphony of tiny barks and squeaks we enjoy here! Puppies are finding their voices, experimenting with different sounds as they communicate with their littermates and start responding to human voices.
- Social Butterflies: Interaction with littermates is becoming more intentional. We notice the pups engaging in play, pawing at each other, and even attempting to assert their dominance in gentle puppy ways. Jewel has stood out as the most dominant litter mate so far, pinning down her siblings, accompanied by little growls.
- Teeth: Their mouths are still all gums, but we can feel the teeth buds getting ready to immerge.
- Increased Sleep Time: Despite their newfound activity, the puppies still spend a significant amount of time snoozing. Their bodies are growing rapidly, and this nap time is crucial for growing minds and bodies.
- Recognition of People: At 3 weeks, the puppies are becoming more aware of us. It is becoming apparent they recognize out scent when we enter their space, and they sweetly crawl into our laps for attention or to give puppy kisses.
We enjoy these precious, calmer moments. Before we know it the pups will have seemingly bottomless energy!