The puppies have reached one week! They are still very much in the delicate newborn phase, spending most of their time cuddled up with their mom nursing or napping. It is incredible how quickly they grow, both physically and emotionally. Here are a few milestones we have noticed this week:
- Weight Gain: All of the puppies have officially doubled in weight and some from the day they were born.
- Crawling and Wiggling: The puppies are still not walking, but are much better at crawling around their den, and get especially excited when their mother enters.
- Strong Reflexes: The puppies exhibit a rooting reflex, where they nuzzle and nudge around their mother’s belly in search of a nipple to nurse. We have been keeping a close eye to make sure everyone is getting enough to eat.
- Nursing and Sleeping: The puppies spend a significant amount of time nursing and then sleeping.
- Scent and Hearing: Puppies start to develop their sense of smell and hearing during the first week. While these senses are still in the early stages, we are starting to notice puppies responding to scents and sounds around them.
Their mother, Brandy, is just now starting to take longer breaks from the pups, insisting on resuming her rounds on the farm while we do chores, and catching a few naps here and there on the couch. She is currently eating 2-3 times the amount of food she normally consumes to keep up with feeding her growing pups. We feed all of our dogs a regular raw diet with a variety of good whole farm foods, including ground beef, whole rabbit or chicken, eggs, yogurt, baked brown rice with pumpkin, and most importantly, organ meat (liver, heart, kidneys) to ensure she gets the vitamins and proteins she needs. I did buy a bag of dry dog kibble for her to eat anytime as an option, but so far it has been untouched, the girl has good taste. 🙂